1. Don’t spill coffee down your shirt. If you are offered a drink always ask for water – it is a safer bet.
2. Don’t be late or go to the wrong address. Everything you do sets the tone for what kind of employee you might be.
3. Don’t fall asleep. Get some sleep the night before – it is not uncommon during routine parts of interviews (like assessment tests) for stressed out candidates to nod off.
4. Don’t run down your current boss to your potential future boss.
5. Don’t say that this new job is a stepping stone to another, better company. Stay focused on securing this job first.
6. Don’t lie about anything – it is better to say you don’t know the answer to something than try and bluff your way through.
7. Don’t dress down. Even if you are interviewing with a ‘trendy’ company you can never go wrong with a suit, white shirt and tie or smart dress.
8. Don’t go unprepared. With the internet you have no excuse to not know anything about the company, its markets and management.
9. Don’t forget to bring your up-to-date resume and references. Check to make sure there are no typos or other mistakes.
10. Don’t just sit there. Take notes. Look interested. Have fun!